Hi All,

I've submitted the FileAttributesPlugin for inclusion in the VM (you can
follow on the vm-dev mailing list if interested).

As Cyril Ferlicot has been quite interested in the file system and its
performance, I thought I might make this available for early testing for
anyone that is interested.

As mentioned previously, the patch:

- Extends the public interface to the file system (FileReference)
  relating to file attributes and iterating over directories
- It doesn't make any changes to existing public behaviour (that I'm
  aware of).
- It does make significant changes to the internals (FileSystem,
  DiskStore and subclasses)
- Functionality relating to opening & closing files, file IO, etc. isn't
  touched

The limitation is that it is only available through the Ubuntu snap,
so you need one of:

- Ubuntu 14.04 or later (16.04 or later preferred)
- A container with Ubuntu 16.04 or later, e.g. Docker
- Can build your own 6.1 or 7.0 VM

If you:

sudo snap install pharo
mkdir fatest
cd fatest
sudo pharo.conf
pharo.getimage32
pharo.ui Pharo.image

And then follow the instructions at: https://github.com/akgrant43/FileAttributes
you'll have the new file attributes code.

Cheers,
Alistair