Hi Nicolai,

On Tue, Aug 8, 2017 at 12:10 PM, Nicolai Hess <nicolaih...@gmail.com> wrote:

> see fogbugz 20246 (https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/
> cases/20246/Segfault-calling-new-0)
>
> Create a class with a single instance variable.
>
> call
>
> AClass new:0
>
> -> segfaults (on windows latest vm).
> I can reproduce this on squeak (Squeak5.1-16549-32bit). It does not crash
> right away, but
> I was able to crash it by debugging into the new: call.
>
> from the comment of Behavior>>#new: , I would expect the error:
>
> self error: self printString, ' cannot have variable sized instances'

Quite right.  Squeak and Pharo used to have a funky class DirectoryEntry
that was expected to be able to be instantiated with DirectoryEntry new:
0.  The (Spur) VM bug is that the object was being filled with 0's instead
of nil.  I've fixed the Spur VM to now fail for any non-indexable class
since, AFAICT, DirectoryEntry is no longer used in this way.

best, Eliot