Hi Frank,

It must be very frustrating to see so many possibly interesting projects that
are so difficult to get started with, being it because of lack of development
and migration to the latest versions, or because of lack of documentation. It
is a feeling I, and no doubt a lot of other smalltalkers, share.

Our open source community consist of people spending a lot of their time on
Pharo. A few of them are paid to do so, some more make it their bachelor,
master or PhD project, and for even more it is just a hobby or side project.
They all have different objectives with their projects, and different
constraints.

To get good results with our community, effective communications is essential.
That allows us to develop multiple projects in a way that creates synergy, and
a coherent whole.

I find a crucial element of effective communication is to build up a
connection, so others are able to hear your message. Your first message in this
thread is excellent.

Telling people they are not professional, and do a bad job, without knowing
about the context in which the code was produced, is unlikely to lead to
effective communications. People who feel attacked are no longer open to your
message, irrespective of the contents.

Effective communications has also nothing to do with PC or 'truth', and
especially not the absolute and blaming kind. Posing opinions as truths looks
less than helpful to me. I find clearly separating facts, feelings, needs, and
strategies to fulfill those needs more effective.

Creating documentation takes time and effort. That needs to be balanced against
other priorities. You might not like the priorities others set, but you are not
paying (in money nor effort). Also, we can only start at the position we are
now in, no matter how much we want to be somewhere else.

This is open source, so please let us know where you want to contribute so we
can help you getting started.

Stephan