On Tue, Sep 12, 2017 at 11:23 PM, Peter Uhnák <i.uh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Just a random idea, how about each time writing timestamps to
>> a different file name "timestamps.$HashOfClassSourceFile"
>> Then git would never complain of a conflict(??).
>>

> If I understand your proposal correctly, that would imo result in the
> following:
>
> accumulating endless list of timestamps.XXX files (there are no conflicts
> and thus no mechanism to get rid of them)

The Smalltalk code writing the class & timestamp files would take care of
removing old timestamp files, so linearly git would see one file added and
one removed, or after a merge, more than one timestamp file removed..

> still having conflict, because the #sourceHash is different (any two
> independent changes to a line will trigger conflict)

#sourceHash is only written to the timestamp file, so such a line is only
touched once when the timestamp file is created.

> plus added complexity and a lot more reading/processing CPU/disk required

yeah... :)

cheers -ben