For a really high-level explanation, check the slides in here:

https://www.slideshare.net/GuillePolito1/understanding-the-pharo-dev-process-79632181

Now, as Pavel says, minimal is an image with metacello (+ its dependencies
of course).

This means that you could try to install packages on top of it using
baselines.

Still, lot of work to do in that front, mainly
 - modularisation of the minimal-image packages, so we can build even
smaller images
 - modularisation and baselines for all full-image packages, so we can
build incremental images on a per-user flavour

This means of course
 - cleaning/sorting initializations
 - refactoring packages
 - Uncovering hidden and runtime dependencies
 - making some analyses on how space is taken (most is methods, tons in
kernel and collections ;))

What is not so clear yet from the top of my head: if we distribute minimal
images, how can we distribute the pharo libraries that you can load on top
of them easily. So far, people using pharo minimal are aware that they are
using an alpha version. That means that if they want to load on top of it,
let's say, Morphic, they will need to do something like

Metacello new
baseline: 'Morphic';
repository: 'github://pharo-project/pharo:development/src';
load

But that means that we'll be loading the so called 'bleeding-edge' of it
all the time, and that version may not correspond with the image they are
using.

This makes me think we have at some point to revisit the release process so
we can have releases internal of libraries such as morphic, athens, fuel,
etc, more often.

--

Guille Polito

Research Engineer