Hi Stef

Collation is the accurate and correct term
If I google: Unicode comparison algorithm for example, the first hit is:
UTS #10: Unicode Collation Algorithm - Unicode.org
http://unicode.org/reports/tr10/

collationner (collate) has a second meaning, even in French:
https://fr.wiktionary.org/wiki/collationner

Interestingly, the wikipedia page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collation
isn't even translated in French...
Maybe i's not popular enough in French (un mot savant)...
I'm not good enough in English to tell if it has same "snob" connotation

Nicolas