nicolas.cellier.aka.n...@gmail.com>:

> gmail.com>:

>> l.com>:
>>

>>> Ben,
>>>
>>> This is my fresh crash.dmp
>>> it sounds very related to your analysis!!!
>>>
>>> In fact we are not freeing by ourselves, but telling libgit2 to do it...
>>>

>> Oh worse than that, it sounds like git implemented its own mechanism of
>> counted pointers...
>> So we don't tell anything, he guesses by himself.
>> I would search for places where we #gcallocate: or manually #free a
>> pointer on a structure passed back by git...
>>

> and of course, it's not gcallocate: because this was a very old wheel...
> It's rather somewhere in UFFI equivalent
> FFIExternalResourceExecutor <- FFIExternalResourceManager <-
> LGitExternalStructure autoRelease
>
> Among the senders, we see (tiens, tiens...):
> LGitTree>>...
>
> So this is where I would search the origin of my own crash dump...
>
> But also (tiens, tiens...):
> CairoFontFace>>initializeWithFreetypeFace:
>
> What if FreeType plugin was not the problem per se, but its usage in cairo
> was?
>
> cairo_font_face_destroy ()
> void                cairo_font_face_destroy             (cairo_font_face_t
> *font_face);
> Decreases the reference count on font_face by one. If the result is zero,
> *then
> font_face and all associated resources are freed*. See
> cairo_font_face_reference().
> font_face :
> a cairo_font_face_t
>
> Since we pass a pointer to the free type font at creation:
>
> fromFreetypeFace: aFace
>     | handle cairoFace |
>     handle := aFace handle pointerAt: 1.
>      cairoFace := self primFtFace: handle loadFlags: ( LoadNoHinting |
> LoadTargetLCD | LoadNoAutohint | LoadNoBitmap).
>     ^ cairoFace initializeWithFreetypeFace: aFace
>
> Isn't it possible that we somehow double free the free type font too?

Hmm not the exact catch but it could well be related

https://www.cairographics.org/manual/cairo-FreeType-Fonts.html tells how to
couple lifetime of the 2 data structures.
I see that CairoFontFace retains a pointer on the FT_Face thru a dedicated
ivar, so at least, we don't free the FT_Face twice, and we don't free it
until we free the cairo_ft_face

When finalizatoin occurs, I'm not sure that the finalization order is
guaranteed but that does not matter.
What matters is that the cairo_ft_face could still be referenced internally
by cairo.

So what can happen is that:
1) we don't reference anymore the CairoFontFace from within Smalltalk
2) finalization happens we call cairo_font_face_destroy ()
3) there is no more pointer on the FTFace from within Smalltalk (because we
just reclaimed the CairoFontFace pointing on it)
4) finalization happens and we call FT_Done_Face()

BUT: cairo was still using the cairo_font_face internally, (the reference
count did not reach zero) and is now pointing on freed memory due to
FT_Done_Face()...

We should have tested the status before invoking FT_Done():

status = cairo_font_face_set_user_data (font_face, &key,
                               ft_face, (cairo_destroy_func_t) FT_Done_Face);

That means that we would have to performa that status test in the
finalization, and if not ready, keep a reference to both cairo_font_face
handle  ft_face handle
But then there is no other mean than storing those reference in a safe
place and regularly poll for readiness
If my understanding is correct, this is absolutely garbage collector
unfriendly!