I liked the launcher a lot, but It took me a while to get a version working
out-of-the-box on Ubuntu.

It's not available with the VM on the /download page for Linux. My
preferred choice would be the PPA anyway, as I like to keep stuff under APT
control, but I had to dig a lot to find a sources.list entry combination
that worked: not all packages are available on all repositories, and some
old repos have invalid crypto signatures. In the end, what worked was:

- Xenial AND Trusty
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/pharo/stable/ubuntu xenial main
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/pharo/stable/ubuntu trusty main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/pharo/stable/ubuntu xenial main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/pharo/stable/ubuntu trusty main

- Disabled signatures checking (at my own risk):
sudo apt -o Acquire::AllowInsecureRepositories=true \
                                     -o
Acquire::AllowDowngradeToInsecureRepositories=true \
                                     update
- Finally:
sudo apt install pharo-vm-core pharo-launcher

But if I try to load a Pharo 5.0 image (created from the launcher's list,
marked as beta), I get this on the terminal:

"This interpreter (vers. 6505) cannot read image file (vers. 6521)."

Pharo 4.0 is the most recent on that list that works, at least that I could
find -- there are too many branches under Pharo Jenkins for instance, and I
couldn't find a suitable image there.

Att,