Hi Ben,

> Le 16 mars 2018 à 13:22, Ben Coman <b...@openinworld.com> a écrit :
>
> I popped over to Windows for a moment to try to make my CloudflareUn
> crossplatform,
> and installed PharoLauncher from the downloads page...
> http://files.pharo.org/pharo-launcher/1.1/pharo-launcher-installer-1.1-x86.exe
>
> <http://files.pharo.org/pharo-launcher/1.1/pharo-launcher-installer-1.1-x86.exe>
>
> I logged in as an Admin to do this, but when I open it I get an error...
>    "PrimitiveFailed: primitive #createDirectory: in WindowsStore failed »

Did you try to right-click on the installer and select « Run as administrator «
? I’m not sure that apps are all run with admin privileges even if you are
logged in with an admin account.

> Also, I would expect trouble for Non-Admin users trying to use the Admin
> installed Pharo Launcher.trying to write to "pharo-local" under "Program
> Files ».

Yes, that for sure!
For now, if you are admin, you could install PharoLauncher under « Program
Files » but then, you also need to be admin to run it. If you are not admin,
you should install PharoLauncher elsewhere.

I did not yet had time to test what Vincent on app packaging but probably, it
will solve the issue as Pharo Launcher does not need to write anything to the
installation directory (was needed by tools like GT, epicea, stdout).

>   Does PharoLauncher have its own CI testing to ensure it can open okay and
> run an image?   I'm glad to see it promoted in importance but with this it
> probably needs such CI testing of its own separate to the usual Pharo CI
> testing.  On Windows such CI testing *should* run as a Non-Admin user.

Functional testing like this is done by hand for this part. There are unit
tests. you can check that on CI:
https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-ci-jenkins2/job/PharoLauncher/
There is room for improvement here. If you have an idea on how to automate
functional testing like this, it would be a great addition!

> btw, requiring Administrative privileges to install PharoLauncher is going to
> lock out people who don't have administrative control over their PCs e.g.
> University student labs.

It was like that before. I removed this check from the installer so that
standard users can install PharoLauncher in a folder where they have write
access. This way, PharoLauncher works.

> Wanting to run a quick demo for someone in a corporate office.  Why don't we
> make it the same as OSX and Linux and be usable without Admin privileges.
> That would lower a barrier to entry.

It is already possible. Just, do not install PharoLauncher in a folder
requiring admin rights.

Thanks for feedbacks,
Christophe