Hi Sven,

On 11 April 2018 at 17:33, Sven Van Caekenberghe <s...@stfx.eu> wrote:
> I think we have to reset this whole discussion.
>
>   FileStream stdin
>
> and
>
>   Stdio stdin
>
> are completely different !
>
> We'll have to check that first, before talking about the issues raised in
> this thread.

Are you sure you're comparing (roughly) equal things?

I would compare:

FileStream stdin

(very roughly) to:

ZnCharacterReadStream on:
    (ZnBufferedReadStream on:
        Stdio stdin).

Actually it is still not a fair comparison because MultiByteFileStream
attempts to be writable as well.  If you could notionally do:

FileStream stdin
  readOnly;
  binary;
  unbuffered;
  yourself.

you could compare FileStream and Stdio :-)

One important similarity:  At the bottom they both use the same set of
primitives to communicate with the OS stdio streams (FilePlugin).

HTH,
Alistair