Chris Muller <asquea...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Earlier, we’ve seen projects like Magma being overwhelmed by the number of
>> needed changes,
>
> I'm curious what you meant by this.  I'm not aware of Magma ever
> having been overwhelmed.  Its design has made it easy to be one of the
> most-available and consumable pieces of software for every version of
> Squeak from 2007 to today.  Did you mean the Pharo port?  It doesn't
> really do any magic, I'd be surprised if it would be very difficult to
> port to Pharo, but I don't know.

Several people have been working on a Magma version for Pharo. At the time
(Pharo 1.0-1.2) the Pharo CI infrastructure was not giving enough feedback
to keep the port running. Once a year or so someone comes along who tries
fixing the port, and that appears to be too difficult or time consuming for
them. It needs pretty deep knowledge about internals. I agree that it would
probably not be very difficult for a long time pharo/squeak developer.
Finding out what exactly changed and why in the past 8 years is not so easy
for someone new.

Without someone using it in production on Pharo, there is not enough
incentive to keep up with what changes in Pharo. There’s a chicken and egg
problem there

Stephan