Hello all,

I am not sure what "the system directory" means to a cross-platform
tool, but either my knowledge of Squeak/Pharo or its reporting about the
host were a little lacking today.  Case in point: win2k uses
win32\system32, xp uses windows\system32, but I did not find a clear way
to make the right choice programmatically.  In either case, one really
should call SystemDirectory() or whatever it's called, because the
system could be set up with other that defaults.  I worked around the
problem the way I have come to do: just put a win32 directory tree on
the offending xp box - problem solved, or close enough for current
purposes.

Does Pharo already expose the needed information?  All I found was 'NT'
which I suspect is not enough, as I assume a 2k box will answer same.
If there is yet no way to differentiate XP and 2k, how should we address
it?  A large part of me has little interest in keeping up with all the
latest[*] "developments" in Windows - I want out!!! :)  However, once I
get out, I will no doubt have need to run things on non-liberated
machines, as will others.  Having good data on where to look for the
guts of the OS would of value.

Bill

[*] ok, this one happened years ago, but they always find new things to
break, and I am still using win2k where feasible to do so.

Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
University of Florida
Department of Anesthesiology
PO Box 100254