On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 12:33 AM, Adrian Lienhard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Nov 30, 2008, at 10:35 , Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>  http://www.pinvoke.com/font/
>>
>> I think that for the demo mode we should get a better font since italic ""
>> is not working well.
>>

> Yes, and not only for the demo font, but *all* default fonts should be
> reconsidered now that we have the machinery in place.
>
> I don't think that the fonts of www.pinvoke.com/font/ are particularly
> well suited.
>
> From a mail I sent on September 22, considering the code font I wrote:
>
> I think Bitstream Vera Sans Mono would be quite good.
> I slightly prefer Monaco, which is shipped with OS X, but I don't know its
> license
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monaco_(typeface)<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monaco_%28typeface%29>
> ).
>
> For an evaluation of programmer fonts see http://www.lowing.org/fonts/
> Another list can be found here:
> http://wiki.macromates.com/Main/AlternativeFonts
> The latter list, for example includes
> http://www.ms-studio.com/FontSales/anonymous.html which looks nice too.

A variable-width font should be used rather than fixed-width fonts.
Smalltalk has always used variable-width fonts; it makes stuff easier to
read.

When deciding on a font, you need to keep in mind the vertical positioning
of the hash, colon, asterisk, up-arrow and left-arrow (if used) with respect
to the text they precede or follow. Otherwise your 5*5 (multiplication,
should be 5×5), #symbols, selectors:,  variable ← assignments, ↑ return
values etc can look silly.

Gulik.

--
http://people.squeakfoundation.org/person/mikevdg