Hi all!

I'm trying to "localize" Pharo to be able to see and to type in russian
letters. After (already many) hours I have no progress.

Here details go...

What I use:

SmalltalkImage current vmVersion          'Squeak3.9 of 7 November 2006
[latest update: #7067]'
"About Squeak on Win32"                      'Squeak 3.10.6 (release) from
Aug 30 2007'
Size of Squeak.exe is 985600 bytes...

pharo0.1-10193dev08.12.2.image
bunch of DLLs new VM including freetype6.dl

So far I see windows fonts in preferences.

Now I try Locale switchToID: (LocaleID isoLanguage: 'ru').

This throws an exception in StrikeFont class >> setupDefaultFallbackFont (no
#Accuat #Accujen #Accula etc. in the system).
I just comment that out and go on.
An exception in PainBoxMorph class >> localeChanged. The same 'decision'.
So far, locale seems to be russian...

Then I change fonts to one from windows (I tried Arial, Courier New, Times
New Roman).

After that I open workspace (having font there changed) and 'print it':

  file := MultiByteFileStream fileNamed:
'c:\Home\chaetal\Work\Pharo\russian\russian.txt'.
  [file contents] ensure: [file close].

(where russian.txt is UTF-8 file with russian text).

This gives me a bunch of question marks... :(

Switching on 'useLocale' preference gives a bit different locale id
('ru-RU') but the test with russian file still fails.

I also tried to start Pharo with '-encoding UTF-8 -textenc UTF-8' keys. Than
it simply hangs...

Advices at
  http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5773
don't help either...

Thank you for help in advance...

I've heard there's new VM? Where can I get it?

--
Dennis Schetinin