2009/9/7 Henrik Johansen <henrik.s.johan...@veloxit.no>:
> Well, if the goal is to be able to differentiate between two objects who
> should behave similar in all cases except when you print them while
> debugging, I can't really think of any better ways :)
>
> Playing the devil's advocate, here's two things to consider:
> - Some people will likely expect *all* proxies to behave like that in a
> debugger, enforcing consistent use may be hard.
> - Some (other) people will likely see debugPrintOn:, and figure it's
> cool to use it for any object they want additional info about at a
> glance in a debugger. (not saying that is necessarily a bad thing)
>
> Maybe a good way to clarify its intended usage would be implementing
> debugPrintOn: in a  ProxyTrait?
> This also ensures a consistent manner for how proxies are distinguished
> from the real. (assuming of course, the implementation for different
> proxies you were thinking of follows a constant pattern)

I'm not focusing this protocol to be used by a proxies only, and as
you mentioned above,
this message could be useful in other cases, when developer would like
to see more detailed info (or formatted differently)
while debugging.

> Personally, I found inspecting the field to see the actual class of the
> object to be of negligible overhead in situations where knowing whether
> it's a proxy or a "real" object is really important.
> So for me, this change falls in the category "not useful enough that I'd
> spend time coding it myself, but useful enough that I'd use it if
> available" :)

Yeah, sum up the extra time you spent (and will spend) for making
additional 'lookup'
and compare this to the time of developing the extra method +
refactoring debugging tools to use new message.
And btw, the actual class of object could be determined by sending a
#class message to it.
But it is happens that in Squeak VM the #class message send
implemented as a hack and it avoids the regular
lookup semantics and reading the class slot of object directly.
In different smalltalks this could not be the case, and btw i strongly
pushing the idea, of getting rid such 'optimizations' like #class, #==
and other. Because this prevents us from having a truly transparent
proxies.
VM is free to cheat, but it should never get caught cheating :)

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.