On Jan 29, 2010, at 3:20 PM, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:

> I for one never said we should throw out the new network code.  But, we've
> been living in collective denial trying to reduce it to one defect when it is
> actually more complicated than that.
>
> Having cited the over-use of inheritance of the Squeak image as a source of
> various problems, I will add that inheritance *should* be used in
> NetNameResolver - specifically, we should group the ipv4 and ipv6 primitive
> sends into protocol-specific subclasses.  Errors that are now weird-looking
> primitive failures will suddenly become DNU errors with an obvious cause.
>
> We should further send SocketAddress to its reward and make any required
> changes to use an aspect-based address that can lazily help with name
> resolution, and does not drag the port number into the address.  The socket
> primitives will have to change at the same time (I think).
>
> IMHO, the only quick fix is to go back to known working network code, at
> which point we can plan for IPv6 in a future milestone.  I urge the next
> attempt be based on an improved design, hopefully one that will allow OpenSSL
> sockets along with the usual suspects.

I vote for exploring if libevent would be a possibility.... this is the library
that the TOR project did for their strange needs, it seems it was picked up by
google for Chromium and Memcached.

http://google-opensource.blogspot.com/2010/01/libevent-20x-like-libevent-14x-only.html

        Libevent 2.0.x is the new version of Libevent from the Tor Project.
Libevent is a software library whose purpose is to provide consistent
        fast interfaces to various operating systems' mutually incompatible
fast networking facilities.

No idea if it's useful as the base-layer of a new networking stack, but at
least worth a look.

        Marcus

INRIA Lille -- Nord Europe. Team RMoD.