Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> 2010/3/11 Юрий Мироненко <tall...@inbox.ru>
>
>> > "...to show the rest of the world what kind of things can be done in
>> Smalltalk nowadays"
>>
>> Yes. I really hate strange situation, when people "likes" smalltalk.
>> Sometimes they even make some cryptic tools for smalltalk. But, when some
>> end-user application needed, they don't choose smalltalk for it. Even if
>> they have a choice. Don't know about ESUG, but in RSUG (Russian Smalltalk
>> Users Group) it's a common situation.
>>
>> Generally, I hate the situation, when it's "cool" to make system tools,
>> tools for developing, tools for tools for developing, fremeworks,
>> sometimes
>> really very cool and usefull...but somewhy it's "not cool" to use all
>> this
>> staff to make real applications to solve real problems. What all this
>> cool
>> stuff for then, huh?
>>
>> > The idea is to present potential newcomers to Smalltalk with a viable
>> stack that could be picked up as is, to give a
>> > starting point for developing web applications.
>>
>> I working for SmallPOS (http://squeaksource.com/SmallPOS.html) project
>> for
>> some time. And it's very close to what you talking about. Even more, it
>> tends to be real application, with real shop using it for trading. I made
>> it
>> opensource for exactly same reason - to show possibilities, to give an
>> example can be used to learn, to give a starting point to not start new
>> application from scratch and finally - fight this strange situation with
>> rarely practical application of smalltalk.
>>
>> > edit
>> > copy
>> > search
>> > display in list
>> > display in report
>> > a stuff or a list of stuff.
>>
>> Yes, all this and lot of details. I trying to use
>> Magritte+GLORP+Seaside+Scriptaculous enviroment. It was a good (and
>> unexpectedly painfull) practical experience. So, you can find:
>> - generating of lists and tree-like lists from magritte descriptions
>> - list filters and list fast searches based on magritte descriports, too
>> - custom magritte descriptors, components and memento, custom magritte
>> renderers and, generally, how to use Magritte descriptions for something
>> new, not-yet-implemented
>> - using both full-generated, full-customized and _partially-customized_
>> (you don't touch component's structure, and you uses magrittes field
>> editors, but you can fully control when they situated) web-forms
>> - using web-forms with table parts inside them
>> - nested editing (to add Order you need add person, to add person, you
>> need
>> to add City it lives at, to add a City you need to add a Country and so
>> on)
>> - using GLORP with sometimes not-trivial mappings (not VERY untrivial I'm
>> sorry)
> [...]

Hi Юрий Мироненко ( is that Tallman? - I got your reply third hand  via
different lists  ;)   )

I wasn't aware of SmallPOS, and indeed it sounds like it could be a great
starting point for such a project. I'll try to load it up soon; are there
any screenshots etc available?

I'm glad you've used Magritte for it. Could this act as an abstraction layer
for the GUI side? I ask because there seems more action in JQueryUI than
Scriptaculous in the Seaside world. It would be perfect if the reference
application could be GUI agnostic. Similar argument for persistence
back-end.

re internationalisation, & putting on a marketing hat for a moment, the name
sounds a lot like the fatal disease smallpox. If you're willing to consider
rebranding, that could be worth considering. It could be the sort of thing
people only notice once your application becomes well known, and then
rebranding is difficult.

Also re internationalisation, it could be a nice to have feature that people
could provide translations for a given phrase in their own language, from
within the application. Not hard to do I think, but perhaps would need to be
moderated.

Thanks for the suggestion, and for supporting the idea,    ...Stan