My guess is the morph hooks into events at the wrong level (at least a
non-platform independent one).
It "works" on Windows VM,  and sort of the 5.0 Mac series(does not select at
depress of command, but when a new button is pressed), and on 4.2.4 Mac VM I
see the behavior both you and 2289 describe.

Cheers,
Henry