From: pharo-project-boun...@lists.gforge.inria.fr
[mailto:pharo-project-boun...@lists.gforge.inria.fr] On Behalf Of Henrik Sperre
Johansen
Sent: Monday, April 19, 2010 2:38 PM
To: Pharo-project@lists.gforge.inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Pharo-project] Fonts for dummies

  On 19.04.2010 21:10, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:
> That will take some (re)reading, but is much appreciated.  The fact
> that the Canvas is not involved is deeply discouraging: one should not
> have to edit a class method in order to involve a higher-resolution
> output device :(
Please note, the "output device" in your definition, and a "Canvas" as defined
in Squeak/Pharo, are two different things.
A canvas does not know the physical dimensions of the display device its raster
will be displayed on.
Thus using it when rendering will not make any difference, but the
TextStyles>>pixelsPerInch setting does what you'd like (for FreeType fonts).

Repeated for clarity:
> In essence, if those features are important to you:
> - Use FreeTypeFonts.
> - Set TextStyle pixelsPerInch: to a computed value at startup.
The computed value here meaning: "Whatever you somehow manage to find out is
the correct physical proportion".

Cheers,
Henry