On 3 juin 2010, at 14:24, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:

> Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>>
>> what is important for me is that we distinguish what is related to the UI
>> flow from the loading of a specific
>> tests libraries.
>> RIght now I would like to concentrate on UI flow and tools interaction.
>>

> Oh, okay - got it.  In that case:
> +1 for autotest-like functionality, where appropriate tests are run when
> code is saved (I haven't thought through how it could work, but it sounds
> great; maybe run tests that are senders of the saved method?)

You may have a lot of noise.

I guess that Ruby uses files as a unit of development/deployment. The closest
Smalltalk/Pharo has is the class and the package.

I would suggest that TestCase which would use this feature use some
pragma/method to identify/declare which classes/packages this test depends
upon. Then the "autotest" framework would register such tests and listen for
changes in the given classes/packages, launching required tests whenever a
change happen.

Additionally, one could declare such a pragma on a single test method, when
this test should be run for a specific class.

Of course, you also to take care of long running tests, which you probably want
to exclude from auto-testing.

--
 Simon