Stef,

I have been testing your SocketStream code.  So far so good.

I noticed that if accidentally a SmallInteger versus a CharacterOrByte parameter is used in the method SocketStream>>upTo:, the environment goes into a degraded state that persists until the original instance of SocketStream gets closed. For example, no more new Socket connects. After closing the original instance of SocketStream, the environment "seems" to be back to "normal". A simple example for reproducing the "bad parameter" situation is below.

Hope this helps,

Luis
-=-=-
Luis Quijano
quij...@panasoft.com
-=-=-
| hostName portNumber hostIP ss data |
hostName := '10.10.10.100'.
portNumber := 10001.
hostIP := NetNameResolver addressForName: hostName timeout: 20.
ss := SocketStream openConnectionToHost: hostIP port: portNumber.
Transcript
        show: '---------- Connecting ----------'; cr;
        show: 'hostName = ' , hostName; cr;
        show: 'hostIP = ' , hostIP printString; cr;
        show: 'portNumber = ' , portNumber printString;
        cr.
"data := ss upTo: (Character value: 68)." "Good parameter"
data := ss upTo: 68. "Bad parameter"
Transcript
        show: 'Data received: ';
        show: data;