On Mon, 30 Aug 2010, Lukas Renggli wrote:

We want a library where people can participate. Now Pharoers will decide,
I think that we do not have problem
with sharing on WebClient. I can understand that people do not like that
they cannot improve an infrastructure
that they will rely upon. We do not want string to number conversion, and
rely on squeakToUtf.

I think Andreas solved these issues with the WebClient-Pharo package, but I
may be wrong.

What WebClient-Pharo does is to patch (and break) Pharo in the most
absurd ways to make it ill-behaved like Squeak. For example, check out
the implementation of String>>#,.

I don't like "magical typecasts", but you (the community) should discuss it with the author (Andreas) before forking the package.

Philippe (an expert in writing platform independent code) and Sven
have fixed all these issues so that the code works flawlessly on both
platforms, Squeak and Pharo.

Cool.

Levente

Well, we are about to use it for Seaside. It scales a lot better than Kom.
Cog can't really speed up Kom (based on our benchmarks done with JMeter)*,
probably because of the heavy use of notifications (DynamicBindings), but it
can boost WebClient significantly.

Kom is not ideal, we all know that (thanks for sharing the
benchmarks). However, the current licensing situation of WebClient
makes it totally useless for me and presumably many other people.
Luckily there are many other options.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli