>Well VBA and Excel is well working, I doubt that OpenOffice Basic can
>compete with it.

Yes, thats why I started to write a COM wrapper for Squeak in 2008
- unfortunately stopped due to missing time and missing
callbacks in FFI. And Alien (providing callbacks) is still not
available ...

Using COM would open the whole windows world (from Office to SAP, ...)
and by using CCW' and RCW's one could also use the .NET world.

However - there was/is also a Squeak .NET bridge one can use.

BTW: Did you look at Javas/Apache FOP? I know it is used by
     a few Seaside apps to create PDF's using XSL-FO.

Bye
T.