On 28 sept. 2010, at 15:14, Guillermo Polito wrote:

> Okok, I saw there already exists a Configuration browser :P.  But it can be
> reaally improved.

Which one are you talking about? The one in 1.2? Or on Squeaksource?

There have been multiple efforts (GTMetaceller, MooseDevBrowser...) already to
try and see what we would like to do in a browser. But there are also some
performance issues with Metacello right now, which makes it impractical to
browser config. which Dale and Alex have started to tackle them.

Anyway, the latest effort (started during ESUG) is there: it is basically a
rewrite of what have been done in the tools above (with still some missing
parts).

MCHttpRepository
    location: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/MetacelloBrowser'
    user: ''
    password: ''

Note, it requires Glamour and is more of a testbed than a fully-supported tool
for now.

> On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 10:00 AM, Guillermo Polito
> <guillermopol...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm always reading people saying that metacello configurations are some kind
> of... overdesign.  So, maybe we need a tool (or to modify monticello browser)
> wich allow us to:
>
> - know wich packages are core and dev.  Sometimes using a dev image, I write
> things depending on Dev packages and I don't realize it.
> - create automatically or propose configurations depending on the actual
> state of the packages.
> - browse configurations nicely :).  It's a new concept, we need a nice tool
> to support it.
>
> Maybe if the configs are easily created, we can have more of them, and we
> will be no longer so lazy.
>
> Cheers,
> Guille

 Simon