I saw this thread on the pharo list and figured that a bit of feedback from
Michael and myself might be helpful. Please, forgive the cross-posting, this
concerns both dialects and I'd like to make this discussion visible on the VW
side as well.

First of all, let me thank everyone for the "xtreamly" positive feedback. It
sure feels good to get a thumbs up once in a while. So, thanks!

Since there was a question earlier about availability of my ESUG slides, I'll
also add that a rather crude and plain but usable pdf export of those is
available on the ESUG slideshare. I'd be happy to forward the pdf to anyone
interested as well. It's full of examples and it certainly should be easier to
copy those from there than from the video or memory :-).

As far as the future plans for Xtreams go (at least on VW side), we'd primarily
like to validate the design with actual use, and fix any outstanding issues of
course. We are certainly open towards collaboration with others on further
development or porting efforts. I'd be happy to help sort out any porting
issues (at least from the VW side).

Regarding the general direction of the project, we are skeptical about the
possibility of maintaining backward compatibility with the classic streams and
yet being able to make the kind of changes that we're experimenting with in
Xtreams. At this point we believe that the only practical approach is to let
them live side by side and let people chose whichever fits better their needs.
If Xtreams ever do gain significant acceptance there certainly is a very real
possibility that we'll end up having to live with both frameworks, maybe
forever. But we don't think there's practical way to somehow evolve the classic
streams into something like Xtreams without wreaking havoc.

That's also partly why we took the liberty of changing even the basic APIs.
They don't behave quite the same way (intentionally) in a number of cases and
given that the two will likely have to coexist in the same context, it might be
actually beneficial to make them distinctly different, so that it's clear which
one is used where. Anyway, what I'm getting at is that some of the choices
we've already made with Xtreams might be hard for us to compromise on, but we
can certainly discuss the options. On the other hand, implementation changes
that aid portability and don't compromise the basic goals are certainly a fair
game. Ideally we'll be able to agree on an arrangement that would allow the
project to co-evolve on multiple-dialects without the need to effectively fork
the code-base. That would certainly be worth-while and we're definitely
interested in trying to achieve that. I'll be at the Smalltalks 2010 conference
in november and would be happy to discuss any details if there are people
interested in this.

Obviously, given the license, people are free to fork the code or start from
scratch or whatever and take it in whatever direction they see fit. I just want
to make it clear that we are open to collaboration as long as we can agree on
general direction. So, no hard feelings Nicolas :-), although we may want to
sort out the naming eventually just for the sake of avoiding confusion in the
Squeak and Pharo world (if Xtreams ever get traction there).

Anyway, I'm now subscribed to the pharo list so I'm reachable both there and on
vwnc.

Martin