On 10/27/2010 12:11 AM, Oscar Nierstrasz wrote:

Unless there is a very good reason to provide the context, please add your new
text *before* any quoted material.

I would exactly reverse this -- new text should come below the specific point being commented on. I'm not sure I've ever seen a "very good reason" to do otherwise.

Quoting the part of the email to which we are replying allows us to make the reply shorter, and the email is much easier to understand, saving readers time.

I suspect that Oscar's complaint stems from emails that quote an entire message (or even the entire thread), then bury their responses within. This is a legitimate complaint, as it does make their emails very hard to read. Top-posting may be better than this. However, it's much better to quote only the specific excerpt that you're replying to, and put that above your reply.

Regards,

-Martin