On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 10:15 AM, Johan Brichau <jo...@inceptive.be> wrote:

> On 07 Jan 2011, at 09:05, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
> > I would really like that pharo-dev does not contain too many libraries
> pre loaded (for example XMLSupport).
> > I would favor push metacello so that in one click people can load what
> they want.
>
> +1

-1

Sorry, But I don't agree. Who cares the size of a development image? You are
not going to deploy it. The less effort for new comers to get what they
want, the best. I would let XMLSupport (and the rest) because:

1) If you want to do business, XML is REALLY important. You like it or not
(I promise I hate XML). APIs, legacy systems, other systems, etc...
2) We like it or not, the packages that are included in the dev images are
the most known, supported, maintained and tested.
3) XMLSupport has been asked in the mailing list several times

I asked which packages to include in the dev image and I never received a
negative answer, check:
- http://forum.world.st/Pharo-1-2-default-packages-tp3092206p3092206.html
-
http://forum.world.st/Changes-in-external-packages-for-Pharo-1-2-tp2551023p2551023.html

I would agree that XMLSupport is not installed by defaul only when we have
out Metacello structure working: repository for an specific pharo version,
stable versions (symbolic versions), self contained (copy all mzc), and
finally the Loader to load them. Once we have that, and once that searching
and installing Metacello projects is really easy, I would start removing
some packages from the dev image.

Cheers

mariano