> Ok so I have the impression that we could get rid of branching or use another
> delimiter.

You cannot get rid of branching, this is a central part of version
control and extensively used in many large projects.

In Seaside we use the following pattern, also see the documentation at
http://code.google.com/p/seaside/wiki/PackageNaming:

     Package     = PackageName "-" Author { "." Branch } "." Version

However I noticed that other projects (and earlier versions of
Seaside) use a different scheme:

     Package     = PackageName { "." Branch } "-" Author "." Version

In this case I guess we must support:

     Package     = PackageName { "." Branch } "-" Author { "." Branch
} "." Version

However, that doesn't change  that $. and $- cannot be part of the
PackageName or Author.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli