Well.. my experience as a newby in Smalltalk was simple. because he had a
strong theoretical base of object-oriented programming. There he is the
center of the question.. the Paradigm..

Esteban Lorenzano and JJ Evangelista  taught me seaside in 2 hours, And
deployed the first application in 3 days :)

Unfortunately, not many universities, and why not, business .. OOP is
used,they  only a mixture of classes with large procedural methods.

Well, key success feature of Java, to introduce in the market was this.. you
can do something programming..  prodecural old  fashion..

May be, the to mass is make "Wrong" example and Step by Step..Driving back
to learning the proper OOP programming.

Introduce common element in the main stream example might be a way too.

The tipical wizard to generata a CRUD from database ("puaj... i feel
sick").. is a good think to make newby more confotable with the enviroment
and language.

Best.