I really agree with you Marcus. It sounds to me that core/dev is a
black and white approach.

I know there are no resources, but what do you think of starting with
a minimum image and the build over more sophisticated images?

-Kernel image
-Core image
-Image with really basic browsing/scm tools (OB, Script Manager,
Shout, etc) - or "developer basic"
-developer standard (the current dev)
-developer scientific
-developer web
etc.

that wouldn't result in more easier integrations?

Cheers,

2011/4/3 Marcus Denker <marcus.den...@inria.fr>:
> Hi,
>
> So finally I have to admit that I am defeated: The way we do the Core vs.
> Full release does not work.
>
> 1) We don't develop the system using the tools that we tell people to use.
>                -> bugs don't get fixed
>                -> there is no pressure on improving the tools
>                -> we can't use the advanced tools while developing the Core.
>
> 2) We integrate *far* too late.
>                -> merging in the tools of Dev a week before the big release
> *will* fail, as they are not tested.
>
> 3) As we use Core for Development of Core, it's not a Core. It contains all
> needed tools, just simplified versions.
>                -> People even expect to be able to shrink it more, which in
> turn we do not test.
>
> 4) Refactoring are only applied to the Core, not to the whole code base. Look
> at the Sound or Morph Examples...
>     getting them fixed for the release if they are not touched for a year is
> nearly impossible.
>
> 5) Fixing something in the Core is fast. We move *extremely* fast. Getting
> something fixed for Full can be very difficult.
>     e.g. repositories need to be changed (for a temporary fork), build
> scripts edited.. it's so hard that it is done far too late.
>
> 6) We can not do a release and be done. Release drag over weeks, making
> announcments (and publicity) impossible.
>
> The build server helps a little bitwith some of the problems, but not much...
> especially as the full build of unstable is mostly
> not working.
>
> So I vote for abandoning Core vs. Dev for 1.3.
>
>        Marcus
>

> --
> Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de

Hernán Morales
Information Technology Manager,
Institute of Veterinary Genetics.
National Scientific and Technical Research Council (CONICET).
La Plata (1900), Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Telephone: +54 (0221) 421-1799.
Internal: 422
Fax: 425-7980 or 421-1799.