On Jun 30, 2011, at 10:15 , Marcus Denker wrote:

> On Jun 30, 2011, at 9:57 AM, Fernando Olivero wrote:
>
>> Why do people still use an older image?  Even as older as Pharo1.1 and 1.2.
>>
>> It doesn't take much to update to Pharo1.3 or Pharo1.4, and its
>> totally worth the nuisance of updating a couple of classes references
>> and uses, because of the many many many improvements that get
>> integrated ( thanks for Marcus and Stef for the continuos improvements
>> integration and fixes)
>
> In a commercial setting, things are different... people need to really think
> hard
> to move to a new system. Time is money, bugs are expensive, there is always
> a deadline more important...

Exactly.

When you have systems of the size >1000 classes that have been grown over years
and have to work reliably, just "updating a couple of classes [sic] references
and uses" is not easy. First of all, you have to figure out *what* to change.
Changes like a modified Dictionary/Set hierarchy can subtly break your code
(leading to data corruption in our case [1]). Or, just because you are one of
the first to use the new code under high load, you see problems others haven't
seen before (leading to unresponsive images in our case [2]). Those are obvious
external bugs, but we also ran into issues with our code just not being
compatible anymore with new semantics (e.g., Number class>>#readFrom:).

That's why in a non-trivial setup, upgrading is costly, and at times painful
(in particular when you missed problems in testing and then experience them in
production).

[1] http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=3658
[2] http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=3498

Cheers,