On 16.12.2011 00:40, Henrik Sperre Johansen wrote:
On 15.12.2011 23:35, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
Well...it is much slower :( it seems that the cost of (aKey identityHash + ( aKey mareaClass identityHash bitShift: 12) + (aKey basicSize bitShift: 24)
is bigger than the colisions.
Anyway, thanks for the nice thread. I learned.

Cheers

Well, first of all, that always creates a largeInteger, since identityHash is already shifted by 22... You'd want to be using basicIdentityHash. 2nd off, basicSize is useless for non-variable classes, which I guess is the common case. 3rd, putting class hash in the high bits won't really help much if you're serializing many instances of the same class, as they will all occupy a sequential hash range.

So if I were you, I'd try with something like
obj basicIdentityHash << 12 + (obj class basicIdentityHash)
before discarding it outright due to computation cost.

Cheers,
Henry

A few more points:
1) don't use PluggableSets. Block activations are costly, and you REALLY need specialized data/hash functions for it to be worth using.
2) Even with a subclass of IdentitySet, it's hardly worth it:

PluggableSet:
n := 1000000.
set := PluggableSet new: n.
set hashBlock: [:obj | obj basicIdentityHash << 12 + (obj class basicIdentityHash) ].
set equalBlock: [ :a :b | a == b ].
Time millisecondsToRun: [1 to: n do: [:waste | set add: Object new.]] 18828

The one I suggested in a custom subclass:
n := 1000000.
set := PseudoIdentitySet new: n.
Time millisecondsToRun: [1 to: n do: [:waste | set add: Object new.]] 14182

Usual identitySet:
n := 1000000.
set := IdentitySet new: n.
Time millisecondsToRun: [1 to: n do: [:waste | set add: Object new.]] 4595

Custom subclass with a slightly modified hash (anObject identityHash + (anObject class basicIdentityHash bitShift: 6)):
n := 1000000.
set := PseudoIdentitySet2 new: n.
Time millisecondsToRun: [1 to: n do: [:waste | set add: Object new.]] 3694
Why 6 you ask? Because I'm worth it.

Not really enough to justify the extra compexity, imho.

Cheers,
Henry