Can we lower tension a bit? To me it sounds as you are pretty much in sync.

Am 03.01.2012 um 09:09 schrieb Stéphane Ducasse:

>>> Normally we talk and we reach a consensus.
>>
>> The issue here is that FS was a separately maintained package that was (and
>> apparently still is) loaded into different places. Adding the FS packages to
>> Pharo amounts to a fork of FS. In hindsight, there should have been a
>> discussion at that point.
>
> Apparently you did not browse enough the archive because it was mentioned and
> mentioned and mentioned and and mentioned again.
> We even stopped to fork it and published our changes to a common repository.
> instead of PharoTaskForces.

So if the FS in pharo is exactly the FS in the repository then there is no fork
and no problem for others. And maybe you (Stef) could add that at a later time
when the tiny kernel is present there would be only FS that is loaded as a
module to the system, right? At this point I can see an agreement of all
participating parties.

>> Is it possible to maintain FS as a separate package,
>
> yes now what would be the key reason?
> Did you ever see a smalltalk without its own file system?
> The same question goes for the compiler. Can OPAL work without its own AST?
> Now if you read carefully my emails you will see that the door is always open
> but so far
> I did not hear anything about possible collaboration and as its latin root
> probably indicate
> to collaborate we should be two willing to do it.
>
> Let us take a concrete example:  Pinocchio for example developed a large set
> of registry allocation for assembly generation and other analysis. Pinocchio
> people released the code under MIT and camillo spent time to make sure that
> their
> analyses work on our system. So should we throw away this effort because we
> cannot add nodes to AST?
> Frankly? What I asked is a discussion and so far I did not get anything
> concrete.

Adding nodes means adding classes. That should be no problem at all. The
question is if those changes are valuable for all. Then the extension nodes
should go in the AST package. If the extra nodes are for special purpose than
they should go in a extra package that is to be loaded in order to use OPAL. I
can't see here a single problem except negotiation and communication.

my 2 things,

Norbert