Gerry,

On 06 Jan 2012, at 06:41, Gerry Weaver wrote:

> 1. VisualWorks - I am doing a lot of thinking about projects that I could use
> Smalltalk on. I have a consulting project coming up that might be a good
> candidate, but I'm sure I would be required to use a commercial Smalltalk
> version for it. I guess it may be odd to ask about VisualWorks on this list,
> but I'm not really looking for a comparison to Pharo. What I'm interested in
> is your opinion of the product. I would like to know if any of you would
> consider using it on a project. I would appreciate anything y'all could share
> in the form of experiences good or bad. I am trying to get my hands on it,
> but Cincom's mail server (windoze) is having issues. I am also having some
> trouble getting pricing out of them. Anyway, I would like to get your take on
> the Cincom products.

I asked myself the same questions, 18 to 24 months ago. I could say a lot about
this subject, but I guess that in the mean time I am too biased since I took
the Pharo road ;-)

VisualWorks is a good product, technically and well supported (I guess), but it
does cost real money (but nobody knows exactly how much).

For hundreds of developers and companies, Pharo is a complete and capable
alternative with a very active community.

But don't take my word for it: just try it.

Welcome!

Sven

PS: And if you like it, please participate in the community too.