Dear Esteban

Am 22.02.12 13:11, schrieb Esteban Lorenzano:
Hi,
2012/2/22 Christoph Wysseier <c.wysse...@netstyle.ch
<mailto:c.wysse...@netstyle.ch>>
    Am 22.02.12 08:32, schrieb Stéphane Ducasse:
        I'm convinced that having support for multitouch event/ genie
        and others works (for iPad = $$$$) is important.

    Without pretending to know the future, IMHO standalone apps for
    tablets and mobile will disappear over time.

I don't see this happening anytime soon either. I think two years ago
this was the most extended concept about the future of computers (and I
was a bit disappointed, tbh), but that changed a lot with tablet market
growing: most tablet applications are standalone applications, old
fashioned desktop apps (and even some are old fashion client-server
apps). This is not decreasing, but the opposite.
Even more, I observed that, while big companies, in effect, are moving
to web platform and cloud. Small companies prefer desktop applications.

As I said in web panel at ESUG: I already saw this happening. Time to
time development moves onto one direction (all in the desktop, all in
the server) and people seems to think one of the sides will prevail... I
think real future is (and always has been) somewhere in the middle...
taking case to case to decide, there is no one unique answer.

You are right, Esteban, there is no unique answer to every use case. As always in computer science one has to find the optimal solution. My statement was not carefully worded enough, it was more intended to be my observation of the current trends for business applications we develop. Those are all for small Swiss companies and they are very happy to not maintain a desktop software distribution architecture. But I am aware of the fact that this observation might not fit to the whole industry.

At app stores I look quite differently. IMHO app stores with standalone applications are a temporary fashion (although the current development is the opposite) because it gave the opportunity to earn a lot of money for large industry companies with a lock-in for app developers. My prediction is that sometimes the pendulum will swing back as soon as the technology really allows to create apps with the same user experience and simplicity using web-technologies. In that scenario, you will not have to pay x% to the app store operator which will be also a reason avoiding such stores in the future.

Cheers,

Chris