Hi,
I think the reason is for consistency.
If fact I like as it is now for that reason.

$a asParser / $b asParser / #foo asParser "It looks clear to me and is
consistent."

a asParser / $b / #foo "it looks odd because it is inconsistent."

Anyway, for such simple parsers you loose consistency and you don't gain
much. If you have to deal with longer statements, if you have to make your
parsers reusable or simply to make your simple example cleaner for real,
you should have separate methods:
^$a asParser

^$b asParser

foo
^#foo asParser

a / b / foo " this is cleaner and consistent"

I hope I made my point.

Cheers,
Fabrizio

"Consistency, Consistency, Consistency"