Am 28.02.2012 um 20:35 schrieb Sven Van Caekenberghe:

> Norbert,
>
> On 28 Feb 2012, at 17:32, Norbert Hartl wrote:
>
>> I experience image corruption with big images.
>
> I am assuming you are using a normal image on a 32-bit Cog VM on Linux ?

yes

> I am very interested in the practical limits on image size (not necessarily
> saving it).

Ah, I was just talking. The latest image grew to 280MB on disk. I just
experienced a corrupted image after a few days. I did a more or less clean
procedure by stopping all threads while saving. But sometime the image seems to
be not fully written on disk making it unloadable on next start. The only limit
that I tested is a maximum of threads of 1100 or 1400, can't remember right
now. The image is stuck then. But that's no problem to me.

> What vm switches did you apply ?

-encoding latin1 -nodisplay -nosound -mmap 512m

> I played a bit with some tests, and I could allocate about 1Gb in a 1.5GB
> heap VM.

I had only the save experience but there could be a huge amount of reasons why
it failed. My feeling is that my images are getting worse the longer they run.
But I have nothing real to base this assumption on.

> What is your experience ?

I'm sorry that's all. I just started to do deployments with pharo lately. I was
doing everything in gemstone until 2 month ago.

Norbert