On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 1:15 PM, Nicolas Cellier <
nicolas.cellier.aka.n...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Le 1 mars 2012 21:30, Eliot Miranda <eliot.mira...@gmail.com> a écrit :
> >

> > On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 11:08 AM, Esteban Lorenzano <esteba...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> sorry for not sending before: work is hard :P
> >> yes, that should work, and no, I don't know a better way to define it.
> >

> > No it won't work.  See my message.
> >

> >> I think Eliot's idea is to form "libraries" of generic callbacks (for
> >> mars, for instance, I have CocoaCallback, child of Callback, who
> defines all
> >> my needed signatures, looks a lot at first instance, but if you see in
> >> detail, finally there are not so much variants)
> >

> > Yes, the idea is to have a library of signature methods that marshal
> > specific C callback signatures to/from Smalltalk blocks.  The pragma
> > specifies what ABI (application binary interface, or stack layout) the
> > signature is for so that the scheme is cross-platform.  But I expect that
> > these signature methods could be the output of an ABI compiler, so that
> one
> > wouldn't have to write them by hand.  The pragma doesn't need to include
> > word-size since IA64 is a different ABI to IA32, and so the ABI subsumes
> > word size.
> >
> > HTH
> >

> Let me understand...
> If I have a signature (char x,double y, short z) IA-32, where is the
> spalien pointing to?

At the first parameter immediately below the return address.

> - the original call stack (with proper ABI alignment, that is offsets
> 0,4,12, or 1-based indices 1,5,13)

Right.

> - a serialized copy without alignment padding (offsets 0,1,9, or
> 1-based indices 1,2,10)

No.

> In the former case, that means that the indices must be computed
> according to ABI (might be different in PPC for example).

Right.  Hence the pragma containing the name of the ABI to allow the system
to select the appropriate version.  Note that the implementation allows for
passing a pointer to a struct containing marshalled register arguments for
RISC platforms, although this isn't used yet since it's not needed on x86.

> And even if such code is generated with an ABI-aware interface
> compiler, is it really platform independent?

The scheme is platform-independent, allowing platform-specific versions of
marshalling code to exist side-by-side.

> I'm quite sure the ABI have subtle variations, which are not even
> platform but compiler specific...

No.  That's the definition of an ABI.  The ABI specifies the calling
convention for a particular platform, and compilers must conform to the ABI
for all external and system calls.

> For example of such niceties in win32, did you ever try returning a
> structure by value from a cdecl mingw-gcc compiled function to a cdecl
> visual studio compiled caller, not even speaking of different internal
> structure alignment padding (controlled with #pragma packed(4) or
> other compiler options...)

That's different.  Internal interfaces used by particular compilers are no
covered by the ABI but then they aren't used for inter-component interfaces
such as callbacks.  If you look, for example, at the Intel x86 compiler
you'll see it'll use a register-based calling convention, multiple
entry-points for functions (an internal and an external one), etc.  But
these non-standard interfaces are only used internally, typically between
functions within a single compilation unit.

> This apple page helps a lot, for example it tells how gcc returns a
> structure by value...
>
> https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/developertools/Conceptual/LowLevelABI/130-IA-32_Function_Calling_Conventions/IA32.html

I know.  But the bibles in these cases are documents such as "SYSTEM V
APPLICATION BINARY INTERFACE, Intel386? Architecture Processor
Supplement, Fourth Edition".  You'll find a concise specification of the
calling convention of the ABI, and structure layout etc, in chapter 3.

cheers,
Eliot

--
best,