On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 3:50 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck <
marianop...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi guys. In Fuel, we need to identity which globals present in Smalltalk
> globals are NOT classes or traits, because we need to manage them as
> globals. So far we have a hardcoded list:
>
> defaultGlobalSymbols
>
>     ^ #(#Smalltalk #SourceFiles #Transcript #Undeclared #Display
> #TextConstants #ActiveWorld #ActiveHand #ActiveEvent #Sensor #Processor
> #ImageImports #SystemOrganization #World)
>
> So...as every hardcoded stuff, this is not nice because as soon as globals
> change, we need to fix this. So it would be nice if the system (pharo) can
> provide us this information.
>
> What do you think?

What I think is that the set of globals depends on usage.  Some time I
might actually want to serialize the SourceFiles Array, sometimes I might
not want to.  So this should be configurable, with a sensible default.
 Just as when one serializes a set of classes, references to classes
outside the set are not serialized, serializing some subset of global
objects in Smalltalk should serialize those objects, not references.  So
design some convenient API that allows one to specify which objects are not
globals, and have the default be e.g. all global objects in Smalltalk.

--
best,
Eliot