On 02 Jun 2012, at 11:07, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> On 2 June 2012 10:28, Stefan Marr <smallt...@stefan-marr.de> wrote:
>> Hi Sean:
>>
>> On 02 Jun 2012, at 05:07, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:
>>
>>> During the process, I noticed that the Blue Book specifies that #fork
>>> returns the block itself (pg. 252), while in Pharo it returns the process
>>> (see #testFork in the slice). Should our implementation be changed to match
>>> the Blue Book?
>>
>> Why would it be desirable to have the block?
>
>> How would you obtain the process object after your change?
>>
> by using #newProcess.
>
> using the return  value of fork provokes you to write incorrect concurrent
> code.
> for instance, i found once, some code which assumes that forked
> process not yet started,
> or not yet terminated, and people trying to do something with process
> immediately after issuing #fork.

So, just because somebody made a mistake, the whole thing is not worthwhile
anymore?
What is the value of having the direct reference to the block?
What are you going to do with it?

I would buy an argument that #fork should return a promise (or you can call it
future if you like) to the return value of the block.

I don't see how the block itself would be of any use.
I do see however, that the block (i.e., self) was returned in earlier versions
just because of convention, and no further thought.
[Some people claim that the whole idea of Process in Smalltalk was never fully
thought out anyway. (And that's not me.)]

Best regards
Stefan

--
Stefan Marr