Hi Sean, you can take a look at Athens-PangoCairo (in squeaksource).

Using NativeBoost, i'm using the Pango layout library [1], and the
Pango-Cairo binding [2],  to avoid laying out text using the outdated
(and messy) stuff in the image.

Check out the classes: ParagraphDescription & AthensPangoCairoParagraph.

I'm using them as the basis for the TextShape,LabelShape, and
EditableTextShape in Shapes / Gaucho ( using TextEditor,
SingleLineEditor ).

Maybe somebody can do the same for Morphic? use Pango to layout the
text, and code a new TextMorph on top of it?

Fernando

[1] http://developer.gnome.org/pango/stable/pango-Layout-Objects.html
[2] http://developer.gnome.org/pango/stable/pango-Cairo-Rendering.html