On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 9:50 AM, Göran Krampe <go...@krampe.se> wrote:
> Hi Pavel and all!
>

> On 10/10/2012 02:15 PM, Pavel Krivanek wrote:
>>>
>>> About XUL, what is your impression about its future and, do you plan
>>> some replacement for it in the future, maybe with full HTML5, Amber
>>> based maybe?
>>

>> XUL not fulfilled the expectations that have been inserted into it.
>> The only big vendor that supports it is Mozilla. A the role of native
>> non-web applications will certainly gradually decrease. So I have long
>> wondered if I should devote time to this project.
>> But XULRunner is actively developed and certainly in the long term
>> will also. It is good enough for our needs and it is very close to the
>> web development so possible future switch to HTML5 or something
>> similar would be natural. From this point it is maybe better time
>> investition than native UI bindings.
>

> The XULRunner is very much such a "UI player" that I have envisioned for
> over 20 years. Given the diversity of UI platforms these days I have always
> thought the concept would gain more attraction - not less.
>
> On the other hand - the "no install" argument for pure web apps is still
> very strong.
>
> One thing that could really boost the attractiveness of XUL is if we had
> runners for iPhone/Android/WP8 etc. Quick googling shows a bit of
> discussion, but no such beasts?

>From a conceptual point of view XULRunners is really nice project.

I heard something about FirefoxOS for mobile devices. If it will be
based on XULRunner than it is probable that there will be a version
for other platforms too.

>> If I will need it for some project (or if someone will support it), I
>> will modify it for the web development too.
>

> I really think you should consider talking a bit to Nicolas and take a look
> at what he has been doing with Amber plus Pharo backend (in SmalltalkHub for
> example) using Magritte and Promises etc.
>
> Amber has a Seaside-canvas style UI framework with components called
> "widgets" etc, and taking your work in XUL and putting it into Amber seems
> like a perfect fit IMHO.
>
> And it would also create a really nice native UI Smalltalk IDE. :)

I played with the idea of combination of Amber and XULRunner. And I
treid to do some experiments in this direction. Because then Amber
would be standalone desktop Smalltalk implementation that would use
XULRunner as Virtual Machine. Maybe sometimes ... :-)

-- Pavel