But this only works for the serialization, not for the materialization.

FLMaterializer>>materializeFromFileNamed: aFilename
        ^ (self materializationFromFileNamed: aFilename) root

I've been using #materializeFromFileNamed: in my code, but I just happened to pick #materializationFromFileNamed: while debugging another problem, a moment ago.

When I inspect the resulting FLMaterialization object, I can see the clusters - which is exacting what I was looking for a few days ago. By scanning the clusters, it should have been easy to figure out what objects should never have been serialized (e.g. WASession). Which was a critical clue to figure out where to look for where the extra objects were coming from.