On 15.02.2013 11:29, Benjamin wrote:
On Feb 15, 2013, at 11:24 AM, Sven Van Caekenberghe <s...@stfx.eu> wrote:

On 15 Feb 2013, at 11:11, Henrik Johansen <henrik.s.johan...@veloxit.no> wrote:

On Feb 15, 2013, at 1:51 AM, Benjamin wrote:

On Feb 15, 2013, at 1:40 AM, "Torsten Bergmann" <asta...@gmx.de> wrote:

This was just an example to play with since you asked
for a #convertFromBase:to: method in your original mail
and one cant provide such a method on Number. Your
original request

11 convertFromBase: 2 to: 10

may work - but it wont work for hex values:

FF convertFromBase: 16 to: 10

then FF would have to be a string.

'FF' convertFromBase: 16 to: 10

So having a #convertFromBase:to: on String is not to recommend
(especially since the string has to be in a number format)
and also not necessary. I should have added this to my mail
as a warning.

Just use

(Number readFrom: self base: sourceBase) printStringBase: targetBase

Thank you

If necessary put it in a private helper method for conversion.

May I ask why you require conversions between the different base systems?
I have to implement a FTP server for a lecture, and the port is provided in a
strange format (twice 8 bits).
So I needed to change the port in base 10 to base 2, cut it into two pieces,
then turn those pieces back in base 10 :)

Working on a hex editor for Nautilus? ;)
Is a hex editor a need ? :)

Ben

Bye
T.