On 4 April 2013 01:20, Stephan Eggermont <step...@stack.nl> wrote:
> While presenting "Revenge of the Debugger, feedback addicted"
> at Devnology tonight with Willem van den Ende,
> we noticed that it would be nice to be able to rename methods
> in the debugger. Is that something we missed in
> only using the old Pharo 2.0 debugger?  :)

Sometimes you have to really fear of what you want :)
Yes, time to time, i also get annoyed by inability to do that... but...

I think there's are serious practical reasons to not allow that rather
than technical:

In theory, everything is possible... (you can hack the contexts and
rewire them using
new/renamed method)..
The key problem with such operation which i see is , what should
happen when you renaming
#foo to #bar, for instance:
  - should a call site (where #foo message was sent) now be also
rewritten to send #bar instead to reflect the change properly ? (and
what if the call site uses #perform: and #foo selector going from
somewhere else?)

  - and where to stop: will you allow renaming #foo to #foo: or to: #foo:bar:
 and what 'magic' you put into debugger to do that graciously?

There is certain limits, up to which you can keep trusting automated
tools to do something,
but beyond that, you need a human (developer) intervention.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.