I checked the issue under 3.0 with the configuration loading speed.

Main Performance Issues:
------------------------
Gofer:
        package-cache always used by Gofer => big shared package-cache is very
slow
RPackageSet:
        each method/class change trigger the creation of a new RPackageSet
        for EACH Monticello working copy

What was reported is, that disabling the announcements during configuration
decreases load time. This is due to the RPackageSet problem. No announcements,
no new
RPackageSets.

For a typical configuration loading CommandShell and Soup + 5 packages I got
518'124
new instances of RPackageSet!!

Solutions
---------
Gofer:
        removing the package-cache from the default repositories seems like a
good thing
        to me. There are 3 tests failing after that, mostly checking if there
is a default
        repository or not.
        I would add an explicit statement for the package-cache otherwise.

RPackageSet:
        With a basic cache for RPackageSets I cut the load time to a third!
        It will need some more love when it comes to changing classes, but for
now
        I invalidate it each time an RPackage changes.

issue: https://pharo.fogbugz.com/default.asp?10393