Are there any good books or resources focused on *mainly* Learning
Programming. (with Smalltalk would be a great bonus)

I'm not looking for yet another class, syntax, other language compare etc...
Just one of those books that's filled with real exercises and medium sized
programs that you get to actually get to complete and experiment with.

*I found these to be of great clarity:*

*Smalltalk, Objects and Design by Chamond Liu* (I wish the account example
were a little more detailed, and the initial slow pace would extend
throughout the book, it tends to accelerate to fast)

*Just ordered Discovering Smalltalk by Wilf LaLonde* (I have a feeling it
would be on the same level)

It would be great if you could recommend such a book, resource.

PS. I feel i read a great deal on the subject but never actually completed a
piece of software that's even remotely complete, the pieces just don't fit.
There is a great deal of "wow" around how you're not supposed to know how
the insides of an object works (encapsulation) but without extensive
knowledge of the framework how could one create anything of use?!