Hi Sabine, take a look to Voyage, and its class VOMongoSessionPool.
I think a nice way of dealing with what you ask is using the pool and each
time you need to do something with the DB, you do it inside a block to
#withDatabase:

myPool withDatabase: [:database| self doSomething ]

you also have #withSession instead of #withDatabase.

btw, I guess we can move the pool class from voyage to mongo since it's
decoupled.

Cheers,