Hi,

sorry for the very delayed answer :)

Some years ago I made a massive ecommerce, it was developed on pharo and
deployed on gemstone.
that works pretty well and you have infinite scaling.

now, you could do the same with pharo + some db backend (I'd recommend mongo) +
a load balancing strategy.
this gives you some advantages (like not needing to deploy in a different
platform) and some disadvantages (like have to doing the balancing stuff by
your self).

but... certainly, nowadays there is nothing that could stop you to use pharo
for your site.

cheers,
Esteban