this is irreverent, but you might consider visiting Edmonton, Alberta,
Canada or Yorkton Saskatchewan Canada or even Montreal, PQ ( at least there
had been a Ukrainian community in Rosemount there in my day ... with shop
signs in Cyrillic, blonde, blue-eyed female rock singers in local bands ...)

Canada's firsts in my life time : first person of Ukrainian ancestry to
serve as a provincial premier, first to serve as a supreme court judge,
first to serve as titular head of state ( Gov-General representing what is
now The Queen of Canada, Liz II ) ... all a big deal for Western Canadians
on the prairies and north of the same.

which all starts with Vikings (aka RUS) on the Danube long before the
Kievan Rus ;-)

Here in my eastern Canadian maritime town, a promising local artist has
parents from Ukraine ( although the local
non-Irish/Scots/Acadian/Wolostook/Anglo community may have almost as many
folks from Minsk and my ear is poorly tuned to Russian, as local Poles
often remind me ;-)

And yes, we follow the news from Ukraine closely : and I have a good
student friend in retirement there ... and at least one "linkt-hin" conx to
a Ukrainian Smalltalker in Cleveland ... whom I had met in Minneapolis ...
( a VW and VA guy )

Of course, for Canadians, who is and is not Ukrainian varied with the
shifting western borders of Ukraine in the past century ... and even more
so for Poland !  Many German speakers in western Sask were, in fact,
fleeing Russian territory east of Poland after WWII and they followed
another generation before and after WWI ! ( which goes back to Catherine
the Great, but I digress ... ;-)